Saturday, January 10, 2009

Leftover Chronicles: Marco comes home

Marco came home after a few months in Miami. I used to cook often alongside the three guys I live with, and Marco's return sparked a little of that down-home goodness. This is a meal for budget-stretching, and an ode to the well-stocked veggie drawer.

Serendipitous Entree: Pork. I brought home leftover pork from a paleontology dinner at La Barca on Vermont in K-Town. So we stewed that up with some broth.

Side: Cuban black beans. Stew these things together for as long as you can:

canned plain black beans
fresh minced garlic
red onion
bell pepper
pasilla pepper
lime juice

Side: Rice and broccoli

I think I threw the broccoli into the pork for a while to soften up. I put frozen corn into a pan with some water. As it starts to thaw, I added the broccoli and some butter. Then, garlic. I prefer this with TONS of sauteed hot pepper, but the guys are not so into spicy.

Also Vic has that pitiable genetic condition (Pauline told me so and she knows stuff) that makes cilantro taste like hot ass, so when he joins us I forgo cilantro.

Plating: I LOVE these shallow bowls I got at the Goodwill when I moved in. Spoon the pork onto ripped romaine, and slap some sides next to it. Garnish with fresh mandarin slices.

If you've got some tortillas this mean is cutlery free. That was sort of my theme for November.

No comments: