Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mesquite honey chicken

Ingredients:
boneless chicken
mesquite seasoning
honey


This works with any boneless chicken, but I prefer thigh meat. Set raw chicken in an untreated tephlon frying pan and liberally spoon mesquite seasoning onto it, and rub it in. Drizzle honey over the chicken. You want it in a very thin layer laying over the seasoning. Go away and do something else for five minutes.

Return to your chicken, and add a small puddle of water to the pan, which will help distribute the heat evenly and turn the seasonings gradually into a sauce, then a glaze. Turn the heat on low and rip the chicken into bite-sized pieces as it warms up. Now you can ignore it, returning now and then to poke at it and flip pieces over.

Plating:
Fluff rinsed leaf lettuce into a shallow bowl. Dump the chicken, and any excess glaze, over the lettuce. Serve with tooth-picks at a tapas party for no-cleanup genius.

This was a huge hit. I did the exact same with pork and that also worked well. This is a derivative of a bbq technique for pork. It's my favorite. Leave the pork coated in seasoning and honey for at least an hour, then bbq with pinapple rings. Absolute gold.

I'm using crappy costco mesquite rub seasoning from a large tub I got for cheap a year ago. I really want to learn to harvest and prep my own mesquite so I can forgo the other bs. Suggestions?

2 comments:

Hoppy Bunny said...

i suggest you get a mortar & pestel, because you can buy whole spices in bulk, keep them around forever until you need them, and then bash the hell out of them to get some really great, fresh flavor.

I have made excellent taco seasoning this way, and even brightened up salt and pepper by pounding it before throwing it over whatever I'm using it in. I'm sure it can be used to harvest the power of mesquite as well.

Hoppy Bunny said...

also, that sounds really really good!