Sunday, February 8, 2009

Goat Cheese Predicament

While walking through the Silverlake farmers' market savoring an over-priced cup of ethical java, I glanced down at a table to see a photo of a baby goat. Make that, a ruthlessly adorable baby goat. All black, spindly little legs, defiant, clueless expression. I staunchly avoid these booths, offering $6.00 quail's eggs or hyper-ethical clams, but I adore the idea that people can make a living in southern California by tending animals responsibly.

I stopped walking and said aloud, "That's a really cute goat." I looked up at the vendor, a tall, blue-eyed guy with a little blond stubble and a movie-star grin. Not my type. I looked down at the cheeses; little plastic tubs with a dabble of soft flavored creamy goat's cheese, and firmer varieties in wedges.

We talked for a while about the goats and the farm and the cheeses. Soledad Ranch? Farm? Whatever. The vendor said some friends of his own the place - up in Mojave - but of course he lives down here. At last I shelled out $15 bucks for a huge wedge of smoked firm cheese, and a tiny tub with a spoon-full of fresh stuff, with a blank flavor and that unmistakable texture.

I bought the cheese for a party, so I'll share the ideas that worked. But now I have a lot of expensive left-over goat cheese that I don't know how to use. Suggestions?

1 comment:

Hoppy Bunny said...

which kind is left over? I'm guessing the smoked? You could maybe stuff some chicken breasts with cheese and dried fruit (apricots, cranberries, etc)?

Regardless, I have a good dip recipe that I totally stole from Chad's mom!

8 oz cream cheese
1 can tuna
1 jar thick & chunky salsa (like Pace, but don't use the whole dang bottle if you use Pace)

mix up the tuna and the cheese, and add about a jar of the salsa (so that it stays thick).

This sounds like it is from the fifties and ought to be gross, but it's actually so yummy at an appetizer party. It's is a mystery recipe.