Sunday, August 31, 2008

Shark Harbor: Outreach Sausages

I love outreach work. It's a thing we do.

On the kick-off night of my last hurah campout on the backside of Catalina Island, we met a gaggle of workers from another of the island's non-prof outfits. We invited them over for dinner but most were pretty shy, and they didn't want to take our food.

The next night two guys were back, installing trail signs. After a careful inventory of our stores, I convinced my friends that we had enough food to share and still eat well. We had nine sausages, three portabellas, a tuna steak or two, and tons of veggies. With english muffins for breakfast, and plans to leave before lunch, I wagered we could share.















Alex and Emily were very doubtful, but agreed. Jade and Andy joined us for dinner. They were surprisingly polite, ate less than I'd calculated, and helped cook too. It was a huge success.


















Alex prepped foil packets with tuna, chicken sausage, and veggies. I filled the skillet with brauts and veggies, and the pork casings from the chicken sausages (Emily doesn't eat pig.)

Emily master-minded some biscuits on the skillet.

I snapped the portabella stems for inclusion in the braut mix. I filled each cap with worcheshire sauce. I added the olive oil (with spices and lemon) from the jar that held dolmas. The dolmas I'd paired with light beer on the beach all afternoon, and one or the other was addling my brain enough to make cooking dinner a little extra hap-hazard.

We did the braut skillet first, then placed the portabellas on the rack, the foil packs on the coals, and the biscuits in the pan. We left the shrooms on the longest, and they came out really well. The biscuits were problematic because we'd get distracted an let them burn. Just a sign that the conversations were great. It takes people to feast, after all. And those guys deserved it. Look at the sign they put up! They were hauling fifty pound bags of concrete while I was sleeping in a lounge chair in the surf. Thanks guys!

No comments: