Sunday, August 31, 2008

High Desert Burritos

I returned to the mainland and spent two days in the city, before departing for another camping trip. A three-day expedition across the Owen's Valley and White Mountains, the trip was both an introduction to California geology, and a social event for my cohort of first year grad students. Our guides, two veteran doctoral students, planned the whole thing really well, and packed all the frills.















The old-school pump-action camping stove was finiky. Plamen cleverly quelled a disconcerting fire lit on the spicket of the canister, by pouring sand onto the outlet. The photo shows the thing functioning normally. Ish.

Whitney organized an assembly line; students chopping veggies, imitation chicken, real chicken, etc. I use the word chopping liberally. There was a lot of slicing, due to a derth of good knives. People did well with plastic and pocket. They packed really well, but it's a good general note to self for future camping trips. You can NEVER have enough knives. Bring as many knives as you have people. I ran into the same problem on my Catalina excursion the previous weekend. I didn't do much for the main meal, but I did augment the beans with my favorite mixture of minced garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Oh, and I added some Corona to the chicken which I think helped a lot. Whitney prepped it in a large stainless fry pan with onions and garlic. It came out great.

The result of all this labor was the perfect high desert burrito. I'm going to love grad school.

No comments: